GHP Counts Down to Summer! - featuring Mary Fan



The countdown to Summer 2017 is almost over, and we already have sun-kissed cheeks and noses (well, let’s be honest--it’s more like a sunburn...)! The smiles on our faces as we walk in the sunshine couldn’t be any bigger, and we’re hoping there are nothing but blue skies in the forecast. Maybe with some of those puffy white clouds....

And for those of us who live in fire-prone areas, a rain storm every two weeks or so.

I mean, that’s not asking for MUCH, right????

Next up for our author countdown to summer interviews is Mary Fan, who didn’t grow up experiencing what many of us might deem a “traditional” summer, and doesn’t have the same kind of American nostalgia for summer vacation that many of us have. But she does admit that “sunshine is nice. And beer. For some reason, beer is more satisfying in the summer.”

I think we can all agree on THAT.
Although Mary is a bit of an indoors and non-traditional kind of person (who readily admits that summer is second to fall in her book), she still enjoys summer and the increase in social commitments it brings. Read on to hear more about her non-traditional, nerd-inspired summer plans!

What is the THE event that you’re most looking forward to this summer?

GEN CON!!! This will be my third year making the trek out to Indianapolis for four days of nerdy goodness and peddling books. I always have loads of fun, and usually sell a good number of books, so it's equal parts work and play. I get to revel in my nerdiness and be productive all at once! And I get to wear all my crazy nerd outfits...

Where do you live? Describe this winter in your area in three words.

Jersey City. Winter: Slush, slush, everywhere.

What do you hope to accomplish in your writing over the long summer days?

Well, since I work 9-6 whether it's summer or not, my summer days are no longer than in any other season (actually, my writing time gets shorter since I agree to more social activities). I have a feeling I'll be doing more publicity-type stuff than actual writing on the book front this summer, since I've got two new releases forthcoming (one's an anthology I'm editing about girls in STEM, and one's an indie sci-fi romance).

What trend or catch-phrase are you going to start this summer?

HAH! I'm the least trendy person in the world. I've been old since I was a kid. But I am going to a music festival (Firefly down in Delaware), so that’s pretty cool... And my goal is to make Star Wars apparel acceptable festival wear for Instagram. :-P

What is the BEST summer story from when you were a kid?

My memories are too scattered to pick out a singular moment, but I've always loved spending time on the water. Splashing in a lake with my parents as a kid, canoeing at summer camp, kayaking alone down the canal as a teen...


What is the WORST summer story from when you were a kid?

Being. Stuck. In. China. UGH. I'm sure my parents had the best of intentions when they sent me and my sister to live with our grandparents in China over the summer for a few years, but as a kid, it sucked! I was too young to really appreciate being exposed to another culture, and day-to-day living wasn’t fun like vacations are. All my friends were in the US, and the only books I had were what I brought with me, so I got really, REALLY bored.

Summer blockbuster you are most looking forward to watching and why:

Pirates of the Caribbean 5! The original Pirates was my favorite movie (after Star Wars, of course) in high school. I must have watched it one hundred times... I could recite all the dialogue and point out the behind-the-scenes details of every shot. It was pure fun; it knew it was a ridiculous pirate movie, and embraced that. Now the sequels were objectively terrible, and I'm sure number 5 will be no different. But I aim to embrace the horridness. No one watches a Pirates movie for its cinematic merits, after all.

Rapid Fire Questions:

The All-Time Best Song of Summer is: Summertime (I'm old school)

Your Summer Guilty Pleasure: Drinking beer outdoors

Daylight Savings Time for Summer: yes or no? NOPE

Beach or Mountains? Yes, please

Swimsuits: yes or no? Only if I'm going into the water

Sandals or Bare Feet? Bare feet

Ice Cream or Popsicles? Sorbet

Memorial Day or Independence Day? Either way, it's a day off of work

Put these words in order: Swimming, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Ice Cream, Air Conditioning, Vacation

Vacation, Air Conditioning, Swimming, Ice Cream, Hot Dogs

What's baseball? :-P

Sum up Summer 2017 in five words: Hipster music and nerdy events

Learn more about Mary Fan, her books, and the upcoming anthology she is editing by visiting her website and following her on social media!

Glass House Press author Mary Fan
Website: www.MaryFan.com

Twitter: @astralcolt


Instagram: @astralcolt

No comments:

Post a Comment