Meet Our New Author: Nikki Vogel

Glass House Press is pleased to introduce you to another of our newest authors, Nikki Vogel! Nikki answered some fun questions about herself, her book, and some of her favorite things. Read on and get to know the newest talent at Glass House Press!.

Welcome, Nikki Vogel!
photo of Nikki Vogel


1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?


I’ve known I wanted to be a writer since I was a teenager, though I didn’t have the courage to pursue it in earnest until I was in my forties. It’s never too late, peeps, to go after your dreams.


2. What is your favorite genre to write?


That’s an impossible question for me to answer, though I will say I prefer to write genre fiction. To date I’ve written novels that can be categorized as high fantasy, urban fantasy, science fiction and horror. I’d like to try my hand at magical realism in the future. Steampunk seems intriguing as well.


3. What five words would you use to describe your new book?


Ink, magic, resistance, adventure, danger.


4. Tell us about your book.


On Erde about half the population has magic, which expresses itself in four aspects––earth, air, water, fire. Magical abilities appear between the ages of fourteen and sixteen, and are signaled by the arrival of a facial tattoo. The tattoo is impervious to removal or covering.


5. Do you have any quirks when you write? Eat a certain snack? Listen to a certain type of music?


HA! I don’t have any quirks per say, though I prefer to do my writing in the morning. I can’t listen to music and write, because it breaks my concentration. As for snacks…. If I’m feeling stressed about the process you can bet there will be cookies and/or chocolate involved.


6. What is your favorite TV show at the moment?


I can’t rave enough about Westworld, though technically speaking it’s already over for the season. I love love love this show. I’m forcing myself to wait a decent amount of time before watching it again. The premise, the visuals, the acting––all of it is just so great. And, they managed to surprise me a couple of times, which almost never happens anymore––one of the hazards, I think, of being a writer.


7. If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be?


GAH! This is another impossible question. I love movies. I guess if I had to have only one I’d say The Force Awakens. There is a direct correlation between the very first Star Wars movie, which I saw in 1977, and my desire to tell stories.


8. What is something that most people seem afraid of, that you aren't?


Snakes. Sure, I don’t want to share space with a venomous one, but if someone assured me the pit was filled with non-poisonous snakes, I’d climb right in, no problemo.


9. What is the best quote or quirk of your favorite character?


“First come smiles. Then lies. Last is gunfire.” ––Roland of Deschain, of Gilead. The Gunslinger by Stephen King


10. What is your favorite color?


Blue. There is something mystical about blue, just ask the early abstract expressionists. I love the way Mark Helprin used the color in A Winter’s Tale, and Christina Garcia used it in Dreaming in Cuban.


BONUS speed round:
Dogs or cats - Dogs
Past or future - Future
Winter or Summer - Summer
Scary book or funny book - Scary
Valentine's Day or St. Patrick’s Day - Valentine’s Day (My husband of twenty-eight years asked me to marry him on Valentine’s Day.)

ABOUT:


I was born in San Francisco, California but now live in Edmonton, Alberta. I’m a dual citizen, which I think is kind of cool. I’m an avid tennis fan––Novak Djokovic is my pretend boyfriend. I play tennis, cycle, eat chocolate, read and write, and I’m always on the lookout for a good pair of zombie apocalypse boots. Please note: my Instagram handle includes the first four numbers in a Fibonacci sequence. Get your nerd on!


Follow Nikki Vogel on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at:
https://www.instagram.com/nikkivogel1123/