Meet Our New Authors: Kimberly Mitchell and J. David Wilcox

This week, Glass House Press is pleased to introduce you to two of our newest authors, Kimberly Mitchell and J. David Wilcox! They both sat down and answered ten questions about themselves, their books, favorite holidays, etc. Look for more information from Kimberly and J. David, as well as their books, soon. We've heard rumors that they might have stories coming up sooner than we expect!

KIMBERLY MITCHELL



1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer? Bill Wallace (A Dog Called Kitty and many other books) spoke at my school when I was in the 3rd grade. I remember thinking he seemed so normal, but being in awe at the same time because he was an author. That's when the seed was planted. 

2. What is your favorite genre to write? I love science fiction/fantasy, but I also enjoy historical novels and mysteries. Anything I write will include a good adventure and probably a journey of some kind because I love to travel and can't always do it, so my characters get to!

3. What five words would you use to describe your new book? Mysterious, chilling, survival, light, dreams.

4. Tell us about your book.

For seven years, half of Rainan’s life, the Emperor has scoured the desert for the Abed children that survived the war over water. If captured, they’re taken to the City, imprisoned, and never heard from again. Survival is one day at a time. Rainan uses her Dreams to find hidden water beneath the sand and keep her family, the other young survivors, alive.

During a midnight raid on the City’s food supply, Rainan’s worst fear is realized. Young Joel sacrifices his freedom to protect Rainan and is caught by the Emperor’s soldiers. Rainan is determined to save Joel. Hiding is no longer an option. 
  
Rainan must make a choice: she can surrender the family she loves to Joshua, an enigmatic Abed who has established Elior, a secret underground city harboring hundreds of gifted Abed children, or she can strike out on her own for the City, where the Nas rule and the Abed are hated, to find Joel.

One choice brings war; the other, death. In the midst of her struggle, Rainan begins to understand that her Dreams, and the other mysterious giftings the Abed children possess, are more than just a means of survival.

Rainan must use her Dreams, wits and the help of those around her, both Abed and Nas, to either save or destroy both peoples.

The choice is hers, but the consequences will shake the Nations.   

5. Do you have any quirks when you write? Eat a certain snack? Listen to a certain type of music? I try not to snack when I'm writing, but when I do, it's usually popcorn popped the old fashioned way on the stove top with lots of salt and some butter thrown in. I listen to NPR a lot because it's easy to tune out their mellow voices. I find I work better when it's not completely silent in the room. 

6. What is your favorite TV show at the moment? We just finished Stranger Things! I can always rewatch a Gilmore Girls and M*A*S*H. 

7. If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be? I'll go with Star Wars.

8. What is something that most people seem afraid of, that you aren't? Public speaking.

9. Halloween is coming up. What would you dress up as if you could? My family dresses up every year! This year I actually have my own Jedi robe so that's probably the direction I'll take. 

10. What is your favorite color? Sunshine Yellow. No sky blue. No Razorback red. Ummm.

BONUS speed round:
Dogs or cats - Cats

Past or future - Past

Winter or Summer - Summer

Scary book or funny book - Funny

Halloween or Valentine's Day - Halloween! 

Shout out to one person who helped you in this publishing journey. My husband has been incredibly supportive of my writing for MANY years. So gotta give the shout out to him, although others have played major roles. More shout outs to come. 

ABOUT KIMBERLY: Kimberly Mitchell loves journeys, real or imagined. She has traveled to five continents, speaks four languages, and holds Bachelor’s degrees in Spanish and International Relations and a Master’s degree in Writing for Children and Young Adults. She spent three years in Yemen and can't get the desert out of her blood. She lives on a small farm in Northwest Arkansas with her husband, many animals,  and the best souvenir she ever found, a Yemeni cat. Find out more about Kimberly at kimberlymitchell.us. Follow her on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest @KSMitch17.


J. DAVID WILCOX



1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
I wrote my first book with my best friend in 2nd grade, and eight-year-old me was really excited and proud of it! I think I've been trying to recapture that feeling ever since.

2. What is your favorite genre to write?
Fantasy is my oldest love, though I also really enjoy hard sci-fi and fairy tales.

3. Tell us about your story in five words.
The tragedy of growing up.

4. Tell us about your book in more than five words.
Nineteen years into humanity's first attempt at interstellar colonization, a horrible explosion occurs. Of the four-thousand souls aboard, only seven teenagers are left alive. The youngest of them, Eden, must face down her own crippling fears to become the leader they need and ensure humanity survives.

5. Do you have any quirks when you write? Eat a certain snack? Listen to a certain type of music?
When I'm in the zone, I usually go hours without eating anything, until I get so hungry I have to run to the kitchen and scarf something down quick. I put together playlists of soundtracks that fit the feel of my project to write to, and listen to those endlessly. Sometimes, if a song hits a scene perfectly as I'm writing it, I'll note it in the manuscript and put it on repeat while I write/edit the scene, until I've squeezed all the juice from it.

6. What is your favorite TV show at the moment?
That's tricky. Comedy? Silicon Valley. Drama? Stranger Things. If Stranger Things counts more as a short series, then my drama would've been The Good Wife before it ended - so that leaves Scandal. 
Can I have more categories?

7. If you could only watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Interstellar.

8. What is something that most people seem afraid of, that you aren't?
Spiders, based on the wife and daughter I live with.  

9. Halloween is coming up. What would you dress up as if you could?
Tristan Thorn from Stardust. Unless I could get an amazing prosthetic, then it would be Captain Hook. 

10. What is your favorite color?
Blue.

BONUS speed round:
Dogs or cats - Cats

Past or future - Past

Winter or Summer - Winter in a place that snows, Summer in the place I live now

Scary book or funny book - Scary 

Halloween or Valentine's Day - Halloween 

Shout out to one person who helped you in this publishing journey.
My best friend since the 6th grade, Jeff Brooks (@redjackalope).

ABOUT J. DAVID: J. David is a reader, writer, and martial arts instructor residing in Portland, Oregon. He studied writing in southern Oregon and Utah Valley and now, given the perpetually overcast state of the Columbia River Basin, he dreams and writes of landscapes where one can see - or live amongst - the stars. You can find him on twitter @jdavidwilcox, Pinterest @JdavidWilcox, and Instagram @granitespire


Leave a comment to welcome Kimberly and J. David to the Glass House Press family! We're incredibly excited to have them, and can't wait to see their books in print. Next week, the GHP authors will share their biggest fears ... just in time to count down to Halloween!

Happy Reading,


The GH Family

No comments:

Post a Comment